Join and Support
Become a member of the Dorset Natural History and Archaeological Society today!
Dorset County Museum is owned and cared for by members of the Dorset Natural History and Archaeological Society. A lively organisation of over 2,000 members, it was in fact Dorset’s first conservation organisation being established to collect, preserve, research and exhibit objects relating to the archaeology, natural history, art, literature and culture of Dorset.
Creating Tomorrow’s Museum for Dorset will cost £14.9 million. Through the Heritage Lottery Fund, national lottery players are supporting the project with a grant of over £11.34m. We have raised £2.3m ourselves, leaving just 1.3m left to go.
The decision to close the building during this exciting redevelopment has meant seeking alternative accommodation for our offices. These will be located in The Old Warehouse in Durngate Street in central Dorchester - less than 3 minutes’ walk from the main Museum site. Importantly, as part of the move to The Old Warehouse we are also including a Society Member’s Room. Opening on 1st October, this will include a range of the most used books and journals from the library lending collections for members to access, as well as acting as a reading and research room where other items from the library collection can be produced for reference upon prior request. The Member’s Room will be open from Monday to Friday, 10am - 4pm and it is planned that free tea and coffee making facilities will also be available for visiting Members.
Our Members enjoy special benefits all year round. Join us and support us in our crucial work: preserving Dorset’s rich heritage for future generations to enjoy.
- Know that your subscription is making a real and positive difference to the future of Dorset’s past
- Stay up to date with events, exhibitions and news with regular email bulletins and a twice yearly newsletter
- 10% discount on all purchases in the ‘On Tour’ Museum in Brewery Square between October 2018 and February 2019
- Get access to the Members only library with over 40,000 publications of local interest
- Our members have access to JSTOR’s online archive
- An exclusive opportunity to join guided tours of the construction site once building work commences
- Enjoy invitations to exclusive social events for Members and special, discounted trips as well as Members’ away days in 2019 to a range of heritage attractions and special exhibitions
- Plus enjoy FREE entry to our partner museums: Salisbury Museum, Wiltshire Museum in Devizes, and Poole Museum as part of the Wessex Museums Partnership initiative
With membership from only £28 a year this offers real value for money. Yet perhaps the most satisfying thing about membership of the Dorset Natural History and Archaeological Society is the knowledge that you are helping support the vital conservation and educational work of Dorset County Museum.
In addition, members can subscribe to the Proceedings of the Dorset Natural History and Archaeological Society. Why not enhance you membership with an annual subscription to this highly respected publication, containing wide-ranging and authoritative articles on Dorset’s archaeology, history and natural environment.
Tel: 01305 262735 or Contact Us
Membership Department | Dorset County Museum | The Old Warehouse | 31 Durngate Street | Dorchester | Dorset | DT1 1JP