TOMORROW’S MUSEUM FOR DORSET
Tomorrow’s Museum for Dorset will transform the Museum into a vibrant museum, cultural space and community hub.
Tomorrow’s Museum for Dorset will transform the Museum into a leading, contemporary cultural and heritage centre. The Victorian Hall and other existing spaces will be refurbished, and an intriguing new in-fill building will quadruple the Museum’s floorspace.
• A suite of inspirational new galleries which will collectively tell the story of 250 million years of Dorset’s history and display collections of national and international significance for the first time
• A new purpose-designed learning centre in the restored 16th century John White’s rectory for school visits, family activities, adult learning and community group events
• A new international- standard exhibition gallery hosting major touring and temporary exhibitions
• An accessible, state-of-the art ‘Collections Discovery Centre’ which will provide optimal storage space for the collection and create 20 years of collecting capacity for the Museum and other partner museums in the county
• The Museum’s extensive and ever expanding Library will return to its original home on the first floor with more workspace, new IT equipment and a designated researchers’ room
• The Museum will be equipped with up-to-date facilities for collections management, research and conservation
• A specially created, publicly visible space for volunteers and researchers to work on the collections and visitor’s to see the behind-the-scenes workings of a Museum
• A transformed visitor experience, with improved visibility, accessibility and facilities including a new café and shop
• Dorset Museum’s impact on Dorchester’s heritage quarter and Dorset’s cultural and tourism offer will bring economic, educational and social benefits to the whole county.
DELIVERING THE VISION
Creating a world-class contemporary museum and exhibition space, complete with new galleries, learning centre, collections storage, library and visitor facilities including a café and shop.